- Risk Register XLS template (9 June 2014)
To better align with the language and approach of the Cost Schedule Risk Register
- Sample Deep Draft Navigation Risk Register (XLS) (9 June 2014)
Example of a risk register developed by a Deep Draft Navigation study.
- SMART Reconnaissance Studies Fact Sheet (28 May 2014)
- Utilizing Risk Assessment Methodologies for Public Safety and Flood Risk Management (19 May 2014)
An overview of life-safety risk assessments and how they are incorporated into flood risk management studies, particularly in the dam and levee safety programs. The presentation describes tools and procedures for assessing safety risks and shows example results
- Endangered Species Act Biological Opinions (5 May 2014)
An overview of interagency coordination and consultation and the development of Biological Opinions under the Endangered Species Act. Following the presentation, there was a Question and Answer session.
- Memorandum: Civil Works Review Board Expectations and Guidance (5 May 2014)
- Example TSP Milestone Presentation (5 May 2014)
Comments within the PDF highlight notes added to this real life TSP Milestone Presentation example for clarity and consideration
- Using a Risk Register in Feasibility Studies (5 May 2014)
- Cost Engineering Support for SMART Planning (22 April 2014)
A presentation by members of the Cost Engineering Mandatory Center of Expertise (MCX) and Planning Community of Practice on integration of Cost Engineering, including Cost Agency Technical Review (ATR) in SMART feasibility studies. Following the presentation, there was a Question and Answer session.
- Planning Bulletin 2014-02: SMART Planning in the Reconnaissance Phase (April 2014)
An overview of implementation guidance for Reconnaissance Studies based on the Planning Guidance Notebook and PB 2014-02.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the Tentatively Selected Plan Milestone (16 April 2014)
- Planning Bulletin 2014-02: SMART Planning in the Reconnaissance Phase (15 April 2014)
This bulletin provides updated guidance on the format and content of the Reconnaissance Report and implementation guidance for reconnaissance studies reflecting the incorporation of risk-based decision making principles.
- Planning Bulletin 2013-03: SMART Planning Milestones (18 March 2014)
This bulletin expands on PB 2012-02, Planning SMART Guide. It was reissued in March 2014 to reflect lessons learned and updates to the milestone meetings, including information for the mandatory Civil Works Review Board milestone meeting and additional specificity regarding read-ahead requirements for milestones, draft report submittals and final report submittals.
- Planning Bulletin 2014-01, Application and compliance of SMART Planning and the 3x3x3 Rule (18 March 2014)
This bulletin clarifies the current study categories in the active Planning Portfolio. All studies that are not specifically listed in this Planning Bulletin as a Legacy Study is a SMART study. This bulletin applies to all planning studies not just feasibility studies.
- Planning Bulletin 2012-02: Planning SMART Guide (6 March 2014)
This bulletin introduces the SMART Planning Guide and associated Planning Transformation efforts. Reissued 4 March 2014 to update the SMART feasibility process milestones to reflect inclusion of the Civil Works Review Board.
- Sutter Basin: A Lessons Learned Webinar (6 March 2014)
A presentation by members of the Sutter Basin PDT on lessons learned in completing their Planning Pilot feasibility study that are informing the development / implementation of the SMART Planning process.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the Agency Decision Milestone(4 March 2014)
- Example Agency Decision Milestone PowerPoint Template (4 March 2014)
- Frequently Asked Questions Updated (3 March 2014)
- Value Engineering (VE) in SMART Feasibility Study Process (16 January 2014)
This joint Planning and Value Engineering hosted webinar addresses opportunities and experiences for integrating Value Engineering in USACE feasibility study processes.
- One-Corps Feasibility Studies: Lessons Learned in Roles and Collaboration in Executing Feasibility Studies (5 December 2013)
This joint Planning and Engineering & Construction hosted webinar addresses common challenges to the execution of feasibility studies under the constraints of 3x3 and lessons learned in the last year of implementation.
- Winning with People: Trained, Equipped and Capable of Solving Problems (7 November 2013)
This webinar provided an update to the Planning Community of Practice Training Plan and expectations for training developments in FY14. Following the presentation, there was a Question and Answer session
- Planning Modernization, an update on the Corps Planning Modernization efforts. (October 2013)
- Documenting Decisions: Tips, Tools, Techniques and Lessons Learned in Report Writing (19 September 2013)
This webinar included tips from the field on technical story telling: How are those in the field writing integrated feasibility study and environmental compliance documents that are both technically complete and readable? Jacksonville and Little Rock Districts shared recent experiences and lessons learned as they prepared and released draft reports for public - and concurrent internal - review. Following the presentation, there was a Question and Answer session.
- Report Synopsis Outline (20 August 2013)
This annotated outline of a Report Synopsis is intended to provide basic documentation guidance and text examples for PDTs as they progress through the planning process for general investigation feasibility studies.
- Environmental Evaluation & Compliance in SMART Planning Feasibility Studies (15 August 2013)
This webinar outlined how USACE environmental evaluation activities, such as environmental assessments under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) fit into feasibility studies process, including documentation in integrated reports.
- SMART Planning and USACE Feasibility Studies: Agency to Agency Coordination (1 August 2013)
This webinar focused on the ongoing coordination between HQUSACE, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Presenters from all three agencies discussed application of SMART Planning principles and process within the context of their agency mandates.
- New Planning Bulletin: SMART Planning Milestones (15 July 2013)
This webinar focused on changes to the feasibility study process, including additional detail on Milestones and read aheads, based on Planning Bulletin 2013-03, released on 15 July.
- Planning Bulletin 2013-03: SMART Planning Milestones (16 July 2013)
This bulletin expands on PB 2012-02, Planning SMART Guide, and provides updates on read-aheads and procedures for feasibility study decision milestones.
- Different Perspectives on Concurrent Review (13 June 2013)
This webinar panel on concurrent review included three presentations: the Pilot Review Experience of Jordan Creek FRM study (Anslow); Planning Centers of Expertise Perspective (Thaut and Creswell); and the role of Headquarters reviews and reviewers (T. Hughes). Following the presentation, there was a Question and Answer session
- Risk Management in Planning: Tools and Application (16 May 2013)
This presentation provides background and examples in applying Planning Risk Management Tools, including the Decision Management Plan and Risk Register. Following the presentation, there was a Question and Answer session.
- Risk Management in Planning: An Overview (2 May 2013)
This presentation provides an overview of risk analysis and its role in Planning. Risk assessment, risk management, and risk communication were discussed. Following the presentation, there was a Question and Answer session.
- SMART Planning: Feasibility Study Milestones & Process (18 April 2013)
This presentation provides an overview of the SMART Planning feasibility study process and milestones, including vertical integration and the reviewer’s perspective.
- SMART Planning: Unifying Planning Modernization (10 April 2013)
This presentation provides an overview of SMART Planning and how it relates to Planning Modernization what we have learned over the course of the past year and the direction we are headed. Following the presentation, there was a Question and Answer session.
- FAQs and Talking Points (12 March 2013)
- Decision Management Plan (1 March 2013)
The description of the Decision Management Plan was expanded and updated in February 2013 with additional detail and specificity
- The Vertical Team (5 January 2013)
Description of the vertical team and examples of their ongoing role throughout the study was updated in January 2013 with additional detail and specificity.
- Memorandum from Chief Counsel issued on Managing Counsels, Division Counsels and District Counsels role in Corps feasibility studies (15 January 2013)
Newly published memoranda detailing Counsels engagement in feasibility studies has been released and posted on the SMART Guide.
- New SMART Planning Guidance issued and reissued on conducting feasibility studies (11 January 2013)
Newly published memoranda detailing Real Estate engagement in feasibility studies and reissued Planning Bulletins 2012-02 (Planning SMART Guide) and 2012-04 (3x3x3 Rule Exemption Process) have been released and posted on the SMART Guide.
- Environmental Evaluation and Compliance within the SMART Planning Framework (PDF) (17 December 2012)
This paper provides a general overview of how the environmental evaluation and compliance process fits into the SMART Planning framework. National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) milestones are emphasized. More guidance to follow that is specific to the Endangered Species Act and other agency coordination milestones.
- Planning Modernization Fact Sheet (4 October 2012)
An update on the Corps Planning Modernization, Portfolio Management, and SMART Planning efforts.
- PMP Cost Summary Work Sheet (29 November 2012)
Updated November 2012 to include a work sheet for reviews to be conducted during the course of the study.
- SMART Planning on-demand videos (15 November 2012)
These on-demand videos (hosted on the Corps Connection You TubeChannel) provide an introduction to SMART planning and the process and milestones of conducting feasibility studies.
- The Sponsor's Role (8 November 2012)
A new page has been added to the SMART Guide on the role of the non-federal sponsor for feasibility studies.
- Project Management Plan (5 November 2012)
A new page has been added to the SMART Guide on developing a Project Management Plan (PMP) for
feasibility studies, including a PMP template and Cost Summary work sheet.
- Sample Draft ER Risk Register 1 (XLSM) (17 September 2012)
Urban ecosystem restoration on an existing flood control project, early in the study process. NOTE: This risk register is provided as an example. It should NOT be used for any other study except as an example of how other real studies characterized and chose to manage risks associated with the study. Please do not cut and paste information.
- Sample Draft ER Risk Register 2 (XLS) (17 September 2012)
Coastal estuary study, early in the study process. NOTE: This risk register is provided as an example. It should NOT be used for any other study except as an example of how other real studies characterized and chose to manage risks associated with the study. Please do not cut and paste information.
- Sample Draft ER Risk Register 3 (XLS) (17 September 2012)
Wetland restoration with high resource significance, early in the study process. NOTE: The format of this risk register does not follow the standard template so please discuss pros and cons of this approach with your vertical team prior to using it. This risk register is provided as an example. It should NOT be used for any other study except as an example of how other real studies characterized and chose to manage risks associated with the study. Please do not cut and paste information.
- Considering the Appropriate Level of Detail in a Flood Risk Management Feasibility Study (August 2012)
- SMART Planning Charette Handbook. Version 1.0 (August 2012)
This handbook (PDF) provides an introduction to SMART Planning Charettes for the Project Delivery Team, Vertical Team, nonfederal sponsor, and charette support team, including information on preparing for and participating in a planning charette.
- SMART Planning and Rescoping Charettes (July 2012)
This presentation provides an overview of the SMART Planning Feasibility Study Process and introduces the planning charette as a tool for Project Delivery Teams to launch or rescope their study.
- Level of Detail by Project Purpose (June 2012)
A new page has been added to the SMART Guide with tips, tools, and examples from the Hurricane and Storm Damage Reduction (HSDR), Ecosystem Restoration (ER), and Navigation (Nav) business lines to assist PDTs in determining how to approach the level of detail in a SMART planning study.
- Additional Directives and Guidance (June 2012)
A new page has been added to the SMART Guide with links to the latest Planning Bulletins and other emerging guidance for the implementation of SMART Planning.
- SMART Planning - The Risk Register (June 2012)
This recorded webinar provides an introduction to the Risk Register tool for PDTs to identify - and address - study and project risks.
- SMART Planning for Existing Studies (June 2012)
This recorded webinar provides an introduction to SMART Planning and provides basic information for a PDT and Vertical Team preparing for a Planning Charette.