- Report to Congress on Future Water Resources Development (7001 Report) (29 July)
- This webinar provided an overview of the annual Report to Congress on Future Water
Resources Development, also known as the 7001 Report. The presentation covered
requirements established in Section 7001 of the Water Resources Reform and
Development Act of 2014 (as amended), with an emphasis on the proposal evaluation
process. Presenter Karla Roberts (Southwestern Division Regional Integration Team)
discussed the annual process in detail, including the acceptance of non-Federal
proposals, District, Division, and Headquarters evaluation of proposals, and the
development of the Report to Congress.
- Water Resources Development Act of 2020; P.L. 116-260, December 27, 2020 (25 March)
- This webinar focused on the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) of 2020 and
WRDA 2020 provisions related to USACE Planning. The Consolidated Appropriations Act
of 2021, including Division AA, WRDA of 2020, was signed into law December 27, 2020.
Presenter Amy Frantz (Senior Policy Advisor and HQUSACE WRDA Action Officer)
discussed the WRDA Implementation Guidance process and timeline to help planners
understand their roles and responsibilities in implementing the new law.
- Section 401 Water Quality Certification (11 March)
- This webinar provided an overview of the new Section 401 Water Quality Certification
Rule and its requirements and was presented by Jamie Higgins (Environmental Policy
Reviewer, HQUSACE Office of Water Project Review). Districts must request a water
quality certification from the appropriate certifying authority to ensure compliance of a
project with relevant water quality requirements. The presentation focused on changes to
the Section 401 rule and how they should be implemented in Planning and National
Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documents based on this District requirement.
- Recent Environmental Streamlining and Risk-Informed Decision Making (One Federal Decision) (1 November)
- Ms. Lauren Diaz (HQ OWPR), with the support of the other environmental reviewers
within the Office of Water Project Review (Mr. Mark Matusiak, Ms. Evie Haberer, Mr. Jeff
Trulick, and Ms. Julie Alcon), provided an overview of recent initiatives focused on timely
environmental compliance, including Executive Order 13807 on "One Federal Decision"
and Section 1005 of WRRDA 2014. The webinar tied these initiatives together in the
context of risk-informed decision making within the environmental discipline, so that
environmental compliance can be conducted in a timely manner and fully integrated into
a 3x3 compliant study.
- WRDA 2016 Section 1184: Consideration Of Measures (7 December)
- Implementation Guidance for WRDA 2016 Section 1184 was recently completed. This provision defines natural and nature-based
features and requires USACE to consider these features and measures, as appropriate, when conducting feasibility studies for
flood risk management, hurricane storm damage reduction, and ecosystem restoration.
- Section 7001: Preparing the 2017 Annual Report to Congress on Future Water Resources Development (19 May)
- Lisa Kiefel
- Preparing and Submitting Proposals for the Annual Report to Congress on Future Water Resources Development (WRRDA Section 7001) (28 April)
- Lisa Kiefel provides an overview for non-Federal interests for preparing and submitting proposals for the Report to Congress on
Future Water Resources Development. Additional information on the Report to Congress is available on the HQ website, http://www.usace.army.mil/Mis
- Section 7001: Preparing the 2015 Annual Report to Congress (18 June)
- Lisa Kiefel of the Planning Community of Practice provided an update on first-year lessons-learned in developing the Report to
Congress on Future Water Resources Development (per WRRDA Section 7001), discussed newly available online resources to
assist with internal and external communication and coordination of proposals, and provided a summary of next steps once
proposals are received.
- Implementation of WRRDA Section 1002 Single-Phase Planning & Notification of Study Schedules (19 February)
- Sue Hughes and Lisa Kiefel from the Planning Community of Practice provided a preview of the changes to the feasibility study
process and notification requirements established by Section 1002 of the Water Resources Reform and Development Act
- WRRDA Overview Section 7001: Annual Report to Congress (4 December)
- An overview of recently signed Implementation Guidance for WRRDA Section 7001, which creates a new Annual Report to
Congress listing studies and projects for consideration for Congressional authorization.
- Integrating WRRDA Implementation Guidance & PGN Updates (7 August)
- This webinar was presented by Sue Hughes, PCoP Deputy, and addressed the integration of WRRDA implementation guidance
into upcoming Planning Guidance Notebook updates.