Laws of the United States Relating to the Improvement of Rivers and Harbors
In response to section 2004 of the Water Resources Development Act of 2007, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has prepared this set of products to update to the "Compilation of Laws" of the United States relating to the improvement of rivers and harbors and other water resources development purposes as specified in the Act.
The first product is a compilation of laws enacted after November 8, 1966. This volume is newly compiled, and includes laws through the year 2010. This volume is provided electronically in two forms, both of which are fully text-readable and searchable. Like its predecessors, only the portions of the laws pertinent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) have been included in the volume.
The second set of products consists of a complete electronic reproduction of all historic volumes (including index documents) covering laws dating from 1790 to 1966. Each of the historic volumes has been digitally scanned in its entirety, and is searchable within Adobe Acrobat Reader due to the advanced capabilities of optical character recognition.
The complete set of files is listed below:
- General Provisions Annotated. August 11, 1790 - March 4, 1913
- Laws of the United States relation to the Improvements of Rivers and Harbors Volume 1: August 11, 1790 - February 17, 1897
- Laws of the United States relation to the Improvements of Rivers and Harbors Volume 2: February 17, 1897 - March 4, 1913
- Laws of the United States relation to the Improvements of Rivers and Harbors Volume 3: June 23, 1913 - January 2, 1939
- Laws of the United States Relating to the Improvement of Rivers and Harbors General Index: August 11, 1790 - January 2, 1939
- Laws of the United States relation to the Improvements of Rivers and Harbors, January 2, 1939 - October 22, 1966
- Compilation of 1966-2010 Water Resource Public Laws
Tips for use:
- Copying the files to a hard drive is recommended, since the files are large and can be slow running from the internet
- Navigating the linked "1966-2010" file with the interactive Table of Contents is easier if you know how to return to the table of contents from any subordinate page. To do this, right-click mouse and select "previous view;" or from the keyboard type Alt Left Arrow for previous page. Either method may require several clicks since the process is an incremental back-step, not a direct return to the TOC.
- WRDA 2020 Section 160: Definition of Economically Disadvantaged Communities Implementation Guidance Overview (4 May)
- In the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) of 2020, the Assistant Secretary of the Army (Civil Works) was directed
to define “economically disadvantaged community” for the purposes of applying several other WRDA provisions – including
ability to pay, pilot programs, etc. Ms. Amy Frantz, HQUSACE Senior Policy Advisor, provided an overview of the published
definition of “economically disadvantaged community” and highlighted the provisions in WRDA 2020 and WRDA 2022 that
reference the term.
- Report to Congress on Future Water Resources Development (7001 Report) (29 July)
- This webinar provided an overview of the annual Report to Congress on Future Water
Resources Development, also known as the 7001 Report. The presentation covered
requirements established in Section 7001 of the Water Resources Reform and
Development Act of 2014 (as amended), with an emphasis on the proposal evaluation
process. Presenter Karla Roberts (Southwestern Division Regional Integration Team)
discussed the annual process in detail, including the acceptance of non-Federal
proposals, District, Division, and Headquarters evaluation of proposals, and the
development of the Report to Congress.
- Recent Environmental Streamlining and Risk-Informed Decision Making (One Federal Decision) (1 November)
- Ms. Lauren Diaz (HQ OWPR), with the support of the other environmental reviewers
within the Office of Water Project Review (Mr. Mark Matusiak, Ms. Evie Haberer, Mr. Jeff
Trulick, and Ms. Julie Alcon), provided an overview of recent initiatives focused on timely
environmental compliance, including Executive Order 13807 on "One Federal Decision"
and Section 1005 of WRRDA 2014. The webinar tied these initiatives together in the
context of risk-informed decision making within the environmental discipline, so that
environmental compliance can be conducted in a timely manner and fully integrated into
a 3x3 compliant study.
- WRDA 2016 Section 1184: Consideration Of Measures (7 December)
- Implementation Guidance for WRDA 2016 Section 1184 was recently completed. This provision defines natural and nature-based
features and requires USACE to consider these features and measures, as appropriate, when conducting feasibility studies for
flood risk management, hurricane storm damage reduction, and ecosystem restoration.
- Preparing and Submitting Proposals for the Annual Report to Congress on Future Water Resources Development (WRRDA Section 7001) (28 April)
- Lisa Kiefel provides an overview for non-Federal interests for preparing and submitting proposals for the Report to Congress on
Future Water Resources Development. Additional information on the Report to Congress is available on the HQ website, http://www.usace.army.mil/Mis
- WRRDA Overview Section 7001: Annual Report to Congress (4 December)
- An overview of recently signed Implementation Guidance for WRRDA Section 7001, which creates a new Annual Report to
Congress listing studies and projects for consideration for Congressional authorization.